Sunday, October 13, 2013

FIVE REASONS TO STOP SAYING "GOOD JOB"

    
FIVE REASONS TO STOP SAYING "GOOD JOB"
BY:ALFIE KOHN

     After reading Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!" By Alfie Kohn, I completely disagree with the point that this author is trying to make that saying “good job” should not be allowed. Students need that extra support in life no matter what. As a matter of fact I feel as though all people need to be told they did a good job or a bad job, it is simply a part of life.
     While at a school last week helping a fourth grade science and math class, there was a student who had gotten in trouble. While he thought that the teachers in the room did not notice him rolling around on the floor and acting with poor behavior, he got his name written on the board with a sad face. The student spent the next twenty minutes disappointed in him moping around. The main teacher of the class noticed this and stopped what she was doing and she asked the class if they had ever gotten in trouble. The majority of the class raised their hand and said yes. She then looked at the boy and told him that yes, everyone gets in trouble. You live and you learn from it and then you fix the mistakes you made and it is not the end of the world. After the student saw the rest of his classmates and when the teacher talked to him, he held his head high and he did an awesome job of participating the rest of the class and forgot about what he had done and the teacher acknowledged the fact he did this by saying “good job”.
     I think that this is important because if a teacher tells someone they did something wrong, it will only help them. When someone in life hears this it will help them correct their mistakes. If the students or even any human being is not told when they are doing good or bad, how will they learn anything? By saying good job yes, it is a confidence booster and I do not think Alfie Kohn should think this is a bad thing. I even think that people should saying something more than good job, something that has even a stronger meaning. Everyone likes to hear they are doing a good thing once and a while. It could even save a life if someone is having a bad day.

                                                                                                                       
TALKING POINTS- I  feel like saying good job to people is a must. I do not get why schools do not like this. Especially when I play in soccer it boosts my confidence so much and makes me work harder then I already when I hear that. I think that children need this especially when like Herbert Kohl said some children do not want to learn.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaclyn,

    I felt the same way the first time I read the article! It felt weird to think that it's somehow bad to praise kids, and that it's something we shouldn't do. I do it all the time with young kids (like my cousins and such)! I can see what he is getting at, though. I referenced your blog post in my extended comment response to this article.

    - Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jaclyn,
    At first, I also had a hard time following the author because I just can't understand how saying "Good Job" is psychologically hurting a child. I also think you did a great job with giving an example of service learning to support your stance on this issue.
    Great Job! :)....well maybe a I shouldn't say this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaclyn,

    I completely agree with you. Children do need to hear a good job every now and then. However, he also says "Lest there be any misunderstanding, the point here is not to call into question the importance of supporting and encouraging children...Praise, however, is a different story entirely". so hes not disagreeing he is just suggesting that that we find different ways to encourage children and make them feel good about themselves. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete