Sunday, September 29, 2013

VOICES AND SILENCES: LANGUAGE IS POWER


           ARIA BY RICHARD RODRIGUEZ
REFLECTION
          In Aria, Richard Rodriguez argues that in today’s society people are forced to lose a part of who they are, because they need to learn a different language in school districts.  In this article Rodriguez mentions that when he was going to school he did not know much English because this was not the language that he spoke at home with his family. Teachers eventually caught on and met with his parents basically forcing them to only speak English with him. To me this shows that this was the beginning of Rodriguez losing a part of who he was because if a teacher shows up to someone’s house, forcing them to all of the sudden switch languages spoken in a household just so that it is more convenient for them (in my opinion) that is taking away a part of individualism and a part of someone’s culture. Personally I think that this family should have only spoken a somewhat English in the household as well as Spanish or use a kind of “Code Switching” as Collier would say and use both in sentences because what language someone speaks defines who they are and defines their pride. I think that if the family would have done this then Richards father would have been more social with the family and tried harder with his family like with everyone else. “His children became so accustomed to his silence…But my father was not shy, I realized, when I’d watch him speaking Spanish with relatives” (Rodriguez).  I feel like maybe they could have had more fun with learning a new language as well as adding their own pride in the language at the same time if they spoke with both languages.
 
         Although I have never known of a teacher to show up to my friend’s house to make them change their language from Spanish to English, I do know someone who was one of my good friends that over time lost who they were because they basically were forced to only speak English at school because the teachers did not try to help him. This friend changed in so many ways. When he first came he cared for everyone and did not care if he was being too nice or what anyone thought about him. Overtime, he began to learn the language and from there on began to change. He became mean and so much different than before or you could say he became Americanized. He would make fun of people, he started to hang around the wrong crowd and make bad choices. He also did not have the relationship with his dad that he once had just like Rodriguez, throwing parties and not even talking when they were in the same room. To me this proves that by going to a school and having to change the language you originally spoke, makes people lose a part of them. Personally I think that we as a whole country need to fix this and let people speak the language that will help them have better future and not tear their family apart which I now see has happened more than once.
 
 
POINT TO SHARE: I feel like as a country we some how need to figure out how to deal with kids who do not speak either English or Spanish in a classroom. In my service learning even I do not know how to work with the children who do not speak English and I feel as though some of the teachers ignore them because they feel the same. Is there anything that we can do to make it easier for those?

4 comments:

  1. Jaclyn, I read your point to share and I feel the same exact way! I feel a little uncomfortable working with children who do not speak English because I'm not exactly familiar with their culture and their way of learning. I know this sounds awful and a bit ignorant however I also wish to learn how to make it easier for them so if you find any methods or activities please let me know too! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaclyn,
    The best way to address this is by coming from a place of understanding. If a non-English speaker sees that you're willing to work and try to communicate with them from a place of understanding, not only are you enriching their life, but you're also enriching yours. I almost guarantee that you'll learn more from the student than the student just learning from you how to speak English. Give it a try and some patience. You'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaclyn,
    I'm glad you used the part in Aria where Rodriquez talks about how his father became so silent that he thought he was shy but then when he’d speak Spanish with relatives, he would light up and become the great conversationalist. I felt like it was actually the most powerful part of the piece. It showed how assimilation can strip away someone complete identity. It also showed a father’s deep love for his children because he sacrificed his native language in order to encourage learning English all of the time. It’s unfortunate that he didn’t realize what a disadvantage it was to do so for both himself and his family. This piece was another sad one. –Jocelyn B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaclyn,
    I completely agree with the points you made in this post. I think the family definitely could have thought of different ways to incorporate English into their normal routine. That would have probably prevented them from losing their family unit and personal identity.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete